Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop (Dell Precision M90) I’ve been having problems with getting the sound to work properly. I could get some applications working if I would change the sound default from ALSA to OSS, but it wouldn’t work in Firefox (e.g. youtube etc.)
Seems this is not an uncommon problem, but the solution was not easy to find – there are lots of proposed solutions on different forums and I’ve tried several until I finally found the one that worked. It turned out that the culprit in my setup was pulse audio. The solution that worked for me was simply to remove that:
sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install esound esound-clients libao2
sudo rm /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70pulseaudio
After the above I just changed back to ALSA in sound settings, restarted Firefox and everything worked like a charm. Note that executing the
apt-get remove statement above will display a prompt to stating that it will remove Ubuntu desktop. This is just a meta-package so it will NOT remove the ubuntu desktop for real.